E-commerce, e-business or electronic business operations is the conduct of trading through computer networks like the Internet or an Extranet. When you think of e-commerce, you think about buying products on the Internet. This is largely the case, but there is much more to this term. The e in e-commerce, as in e-book and e-mail, stands for electronic, so e-commerce can be translated as electronic trading. The concept of e-commerce therefore involves all online information gathering, sharing and transactions.
The rise of e-commerce began in the 70’s, with the first networks to be used by banks to exchange money electronically. Soon after, Electronic Data Interchange (EDI), a system of data exchange between companies known in the Fresh Produce industry, was created. Telecommunications applications such as digital auctions or increasing network capacity made e-commerce a real factor for many more businesses in the 90’s. The first online transaction took place in 1994 at a cost of 12.50 US dollars including shipping. This amount is nothing compared to the amounts that are present in the online trade. In 2021, total sales of products through e-commerce are expected to be 4.5 trillion US dollars.
“When it comes to food, technology is changing the game”, according to Forbes.
For Fruit & Vegetables merchants, e-commerce offers a huge opportunity to unlock information, interact with your customers and contribute to the growth of your sales channel. Keelings Knowledge can help you with this and provide you with a Webshop. Some characteristics of our Webshop are:
- Clear layout (front end) for your customers;
- The back end is easy to maintain by yourself;
- The ERP system is your back office;
- Real-time operation and processing;
- Access to online marketing via blogs;
- Quick search features;
- Upselling through customer analytics;
- Being able to work with promotions;
- Current stock indication;
- Product range in line with ERP software;
- Use actual product photos;
- Customer-specific pricing;
- To be able to see previous orders;
- Be able to choose desired delivery date;
- E–mail order confirmation both internally and externally;
- Various payment options for your customer;
- Possible link to an accounting program.
Ordering products through an always available Webshop is faster, easier and less sensitive to errors. This e–commerce application adds value to your customer relationship and gives you the opportunity for expansion.